Easy to make and fun to eat!
One of our most recent family events included apple picking (which I will blog about real soon) ... with the apples that we picked, I've been coming up with creative ways to use them. First, who doesn't love a juicy, sweet apple? Second, who doesn't enjoy a good apple dessert of any kind in the Fall?
This past weekend was our daughter's homecoming dance. She invited 8 of her girlfriends over to our house to get ready for the dance. Kennedy instructed David and I not to go overboard with snacks for the girls. They didn't want anything heavy, something light and easy, so we decided on fruit. I knew then that this was the perfect opportunity to use some of the apples that we picked.
I decided to make apple nachos. They are a light sweet treat and not messy to eat. The girls absolutely loved them!
Apple Nachos Recipe
2-3 apples (I used Empire apples, which are great for desserts)
1/4 - 1/3 cup caramel sauce
Small handful mini chocolate chips (you can also use regular size chips if you choose)
Small handful coconut flakes
Small handful of slivered almonds (optional)
Cinnamon (to sprinkle on the apples)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1. Wash, core and slice apples into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Place apple slices in a small bowl with the lemon juice, toss to coat.
3. On a serving plate, lay apple slices in a single layer around the outside edge, then layer another small layer over those but towards the inside center of the plate.
4. Drizzle the caramel in a circular motion, from the middle of the plate to the outside edge.
5. Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon. Top with chocolate chips, coconut flakes and almonds.
This is not only a simple recipe, it's quick and delicious. Great for entertaining and fun to make with the kiddos too!
Happy Fall y'all!
Our daughter Kennedy and proud dad sending her off to the homecoming dance ...